There are a few reasons why EGP is different:
- All the money volunteers raise goes directly towards the project. Volunteers pay for their own flights, accommodation, insurance, vaccinations and other required medication, and anything else they might need. Keeping projects costs and personal costs separate ensures transparency in fundraising – people will not feel they are paying for students to go on holiday.
- We are one of the cheapest ways to volunteer abroad. As EGP is run by student volunteers, there are no hidden administration costs, only our £40 registration fee which covers the basic running of EGP and full First Aid training for volunteers.
- EGP ensures all volunteers are fully prepared. The training programme is tailored to each project’s needs.
- We only select projects that are proposed and supported by the host community. By selecting projects that have been conceived by the host community, EGP ensures community support and ownership which is vital for the long-term success of the projects.
- Volunteers receive year round support from their team mates and the committee. As EGP is also a student society, it allows for a friendly and personal atmosphere. Alongside the structured training sessions, there is plenty of opportunity for support and advice from the committee and past volunteers. We have a dedicated pair of Fundraising Officers to help you with your fundraising efforts.
- EGP is run by a committee whose members have all previously volunteered on an EGP project.
- Volunteers live in host communities for the duration of the project and experience the local culture first-hand. This creates some unforgettable memories.