1. About the personal information we store
We store the following personal information:
- Names, addresses, roles and EGP project information;
- Information included in volunteer application forms, including medical information;
- Information gathered from interviews;
- Any photographs taken;
- Email addresses and other contact information;
- Post-project feedback;
- Accident reports;
- Emails and social media messages sent and received by EGP;
- The date on which a person became a member of EGP;
- The date on which a volunteer became a committee member;
- The date on which a person ceased to be a member of EGP;
- Any other relevant information or photographs shared with EGP.
We also store information that you provide to us regarding parents/guardians and emergency contacts.
2. Retention periods of the personal information we store
The majority of stored personal information is erased at the end of Volunteer Feedback Day, soon after volunteers have returned from project.
If, for whatever reason, we require to keep a volunteer’s personal information after Volunteer Feedback Day, it will be deleted as soon as it is no longer required.
Personal information which we will erase only when requested to do so includes:
- Email addresses (and proofs of consent for these) and other contact information (such as phone numbers);
- Accident reports and related material;
- Volunteer feedback;
- Personal information discussed during committee meetings or included in agendas and handover documents;
- Emails and social media messages sent and received (this includes any information submitted to us via our website);
- EGP roles and tasks;
- Project information, including updates given to committee while on project.
Personal information which we will not erase includes:
- Signed documents and any other form of consent.
- Signed notices of withdrawal from EGP.
- Personal data which we are required to keep for our register, which includes a member's name, address, date on which they became a member of EGP, date on which they became a committee member (if applicable), the date on which they ceased to be a member (if applicable), and what position they held in the committee (if applicable).
- Records of reinbursements, which include bank details.
3. Our purposes for storing personal information
We use personal information to:
- Select volunteers;
- Decide which volunteers will be coordinators;
- Keep volunteers safe while on project;
- Stay in touch with EGP alumni;
- Promote EGP (for example, by sharing photographs);
- Monitor and evaluate EGP’s conduct and impact.
We store proofs of consent and signed contracts to comply with our Data Protection Policy.
4. Viewing, modifying or deleting your information
If you wish to view, modify or delete personal information of yours stored by EGP, simply ask an EGP committee member or contact us.
5. Sharing personal information
Your personal information will be shared between EGP committee members and project coordinators. Please note that the coordinators of your team will therefore be aware of any medical information you disclose to EGP, and that they may share this with volunteers on your team if they deem this necessary and appropriate.
Your name and project information may also be shared with other volunteers.
Please also be aware that the volunteers in your team will be able to view any personal information contained in EGP’s Pre-Departure Handbook, which will include:
- Flight details;
- Insurance details;
- Contact information;
- Emergency contact information.
Please also be aware that any personal information uploaded by you onto your team’s Google Drive will be visible not only to EGP committee members but also to the volunteers in your team, and as such will not be in the control of EGP.
Your name, student number and phone number may be shared with the Edinburgh University Students' Association (EUSA), if these are requested by EUSA.
EGP must provide volunteers and alumni with a list of current volunteers (including name, address and the date on which they registered as a member of EGP) and/or a list of previous volunteers (including name, address and the date on which they ceased to be a member) if a reasonable request for this is made.
If deemed appropriate, the committee may chose to have a person who is not on the committee attend a meeting; this person would, in that situation, learn any information discussed during that meeting.
Signed documents are shared to the appropriate parties (eg our bank).
Any personal data which is provided to EGP with the purposes of sharing will be shared in line with that purpose. For example, if you provide us with a photograph of yourself to upload to our website, that photograph will be uploaded to our website.
6. Special note on private communication
Please note that any personal information given to EGP committee members through private communication (such as Facebook messenger) will be received by the committee member as an individual, and not by EGP. Our Data Protection Policy will therefore not apply.
EGP will not use or store personal information communicated in this way unless explicit consent for this is given.
Instead, please communicate your personal information to us via EGP’s Facebook account, email address and Google Drive.